Aloe Vera- Overview, History, Uses, Benefits, Precaution, Dosage.
What is Aloe Vera?
Aloe vera is a natural succulent plant belonging to the genus Aloe in the family Aloaceae. In fact, there are 300 types of aloe that are currently known. Aloe vera is edible. The characteristics of aloe vera are that the mesophyll is thick and sticky. It is a thorny plant but it is full of many properties. It is calorie-free and contains valuable nutritional components in a well-balanced manner.
Aloe vera contains about 75 potentially active constituents like vitamins, enzymes, minerals, sugars, lignin, saponins, salicylic acids, amino acids and many more. It has vitamins like vitamins A (beta-carotene), C and E, vitamin B12 and minerals like folic acid, choline, copper, zinc, magnesium, manganese, etc. In addition, it contains 18 kinds of amino acids. It also contains all nine essential amino acids that the body cannot make, such as isoleucine, leucine, and lysine. It is rich in antioxidants, aloin and salicylic acid.
Being has more than 70 kinds of nutrients, it is useful for maintaining health from top to the bottom.
- Latin Name: The Latin name of aloe vera is Aloe barbadensis miller.
- Family Member: Aloe vera belongs to the Asphodelaceae (Liliaceae) family. It is a flowering plant and is recognized by most taxonomists.
- Common Name: Gwarpatha, Ghrit Kumari, etc are the common names for the Indians.
- Habitat: Aloe vera is mostly inhabited in arid climates. Mostly, it is found in Africa, Indian and other arid areas.
- Season: Aloe vera, mostly available in the late winter and early spring.
History of Aloe Vera
The history of aloe vera is back to ancient times. It is said that it was used as an "immortal plant" in Egypt around 2000 BC. Even in the many mummy’s coffins of the pyramid, there is a description of aloe vera as a plant that supports people's beauty and health. Aloe, which you see on the road, has a ridiculous history.
Cleopatra, the queen of ancient Egypt, is also known as the "Beauty of the Blessed". Did you realise that aloe was the key to its beauty? According to one idea, Cleopatra used aloe juice to beautify her entire body. It has high eyes and is known as one of the world's three most attractive women. Perhaps she sensed aloe's hydrating properties as well as its ability to encourage collagen formation.
Aloe vera has been used for medicinal purposes from the century and probably in the overall world countries like Greece, India, Egypt, Japan, China and many more. Aloe history is also linked with Alexander. It was a great aloe freak. He always brought aloe vera to heal soldiers' illnesses and injuries and maintain their health. That favourite is just out of the ordinary. In order to secure a large amount of aloe, it was even cultivated by occupying its own island of Socotra in Africa. Hippocrates in ancient Greece, known as "medicine" and "father of medicine," used aloe as a remedy on a daily basis. In addition, the medical books he wrote record the effects of laxatives (improving bowel movements). Aloe is amazing to appear in medical books about 2,500 years ago.
First, aloe vera in English is translated by John Goodyew in A.D. In the early 1800s, Aler vera was used as a Laxative herb by the United States. In the mid-1930s, it turned out to be a successful herb for chronic and severe radiation dermatitis.
Main Nutritional Components
There are many types of nutritional value present in the aloe vera. Let's talk about some of the main nutritional components
- Aloin: Aloin is the main component that is abundant in the epidermis of aloe leaves. From ancient times, it is said that aloin is used to stimulate the large intestine to promote defecation and support stomach health. Aloin has a strong effect, hence also used in the medical system.
- Aloe Emodin: It is an ingredient that supports gastrointestinal function. It helps to condition the stomach and prevent stomach upset. It is also expected to be useful as a countermeasure against hangovers.
- Minerals: Aloe vera contains many types of minerals. Potassium is rich in aloe vera that maintains the regulate the intracellular osmotic pressure, and "iron" causes anaemia if deficient. It is ideal to use aloe vera to fulfil the minerals and vitamin needs in daily life.
Aloe Vera Uses
Aloe vera is a superfood. The use of aloe vera is not restricted to one field. It has been used in many fields and benefits humans in many ways. Read below, how you can use aloe vera in your regular life.
- Dietary Supplement: Being rich in many important compounds, aloe vera is used as a dietary supplement. Aloin is the main active compound in the aloe vera gel that is tested and approved by the FSSAI. It has been used as a dietary supplement in the form of Aloe Vera tablets, aloe vera capsules, aloe vera juice, and many more supplements. Aloe vera is used for the health of the digestive system, weight management, beautification of skin and hair and many more.
- Traditional Medicine: From the early days, aloe vera has been used for skin treatment. It is a traditional medicinal herb. At first, it is recorded as the fourth millennium BCE. From the traditional time to now, aloe vera uses have increased in modern times.
- Commodities: In the modern era, aloe vera is also used in the facial tissues that keep the tissue moisturiser and transfer to the skin. Aloe vera facial tissues are anti-irritant and perfect for skin health. Aloe vera cream, soap, and shampoo are also common nowadays. Even though many makeups, moisturisers, etc are also based on aloe vera. It is one of the hygienic production ingredients.
Benefits of Aloe Vera
The use of aloe vera is beneficial in many ways. It works for health as well as cosmetology. From ancient times, people have used it for beautification and health improvement. Let's check out the benefits of the aloe vera plant
The use of aloe vera is effective to reduce wound inflammation and skin inflammation. The gel substance from the aloe vera leaves is rich in "salicylic acid". It is anti-inflammatory in nature and makes aloe vera beneficial for inflammation. In addition, the presence of Vitamin C also activates the cells and increases collagen production, which helps to regenerate the skin. Aloe vera is important for complete skin health. Aloe contains various ingredients that are useful for minor burns such as blisters and major injuries such as scratches and cuts.Effective In Spots And Freckles
Being rich in aloin compounds, aloe has the function of suppressing the movement of "tyrosinase", which is the source of melanin pigment. That is why it is good for sunburn prevention. Moreover, it is expected to suppress the skin ageing problem and reduce the dark spots and freckles from thickening. The uses of aloe vera or its extract suppress the effects of UV rays and guard the skin cells.
Aloe vera For Hair Health
Aloe vera is good for hair health. There is no data that shows that aloe vera has a direct hair-growth effect, but it is said that it helps to control thinning hair. The "tannic acid" and "aloin" work for hair thinning problems. Tannic acid has the effect of activating hair matrix cells and inhibiting the action of male hormones. Aloin also suppresses the production of male hormones. This can be expected to suppress thinning hair due to the activation of male hormones.
Aloin and aloe-emodin containing aloe vera has the function of stimulating the large intestine and supporting the excretion of faeces by increasing the amount of water in the intestine and activating the peristaltic movement. The intake of aloe vera is effective for stomach problems. However, consuming a lot of aloe vera may be too irritating. If you take it as a measure against constipation, take a small amount.Immunity Improvement
Having "vitamin C" and "mucopolysaccharide", it is able to fight oxidative stress. In addition, it helps to generate burned and slightly injured skin by regulating immunity. The regular use of aloe vera or its extract improves the immunity system and creates a defence for the body.Measures Against Hangover
When alcohol is broken down in the liver, a component called "acetaldehyde" is generated, which causes a hangover. If you drink too much alcohol, it will not quickly decompose and will build-up, resulting in hangover symptoms. The main ingredient of aloe vera has aloe-emodin and aloin, which is effective for stomach upset due to hangovers and reduces the symptoms of a hangover. In addition, aloe-emodin also has a detoxifying effect that is good for hangovers.Support Stomach Health
Compounds like aloin, aloe-emodin may be expected to promote the secretion of gastric fluid and promote digestion. It is useful when you have stomach discomforts such as stomach upset or indigestion. You can also reduce stomach acidity as well as stomach pain with the use of aloe vera in the morning time.
Aloe Vera Dosage
The right dose of aloe vera is essential to experience a number of benefits. When you are thinking of consuming the aloe vera, then proceed to the article.
As per FSSAI(Food Safety and Standards Authority of India), the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) value of aloe vera is -
- Leaf - 5-10 g (as the pulp)
- Dried Pulp - 0.5 – 1 g
This is the daily recommendation. Whether you are having raw aloe leaves, or aloe juice or aloe vera capsules, make sure about the total aloe vera intakes. The overdose of the limited amount might cause side effects instead of advantages of aloe vera.
Aloe Vera Precaution & Side Effect
The incorrect use of aloe vera or any other herb is not good for health as well as for beauty.
- As we know, aloe vera has the function to support excretion, but an overdose of aloe vera might cause adverse effects like stomach pain and diarrhoea. So, you should avoid overdosing.
- Aloin also has a compressive impact on the uterus. Please avoid taking it if you are pregnant, as it may cause harm to your health.
- Topical aloe vera has the potential to irritate your skin. Applying aloe to the skin might also lead to dermatitis. Start with a tiny amount of aloe on your skin and cease using it right away if you notice any anomalies.
- For people who are allergic to onion, garlic or similar herb, there is a possibility to be allergic to aloe vera. Make sure about it to consult the healthcare professional.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) On Aloe Vera
What are the benefits of aloe vera?
Aloe vera is an essential herb that provides several health benefits to the body. It improves digestion, improves wound healing, dental plaque, constipation, skin and hair health and many more. The benefits may be achieved when it is used regularly.
Can aloe vera boost sperm?
No, there is no evidence that says that aloe vera can boost the sperm count in men. There are many natural herbs like ashwagandha. etc that work to boost the sperm quality and quantity for humans.
Does aloe vera lower blood pressure?
As we know aloe vera is effective in many health benefits. Managing blood pressure is one of them. The regular use of aloe vera or its extract lowers blood pressure and prevents serious heart problems.
What is aloe vera good for?
Aloe vera is rich in nutritional value like antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that protect the skin, improve immunity, improve digestive function, nourish the hair and many more. Aloe vera is good for overall health to use internally or externally.
What is bad about aloe vera?
The heavy dose or overdose of aloe vera might cause problems to the body. It might cause stomach problems like diarrhoea when consumed in high doses. It increases the laxative level and causes stomach and kidney problems.
What diseases does aloe vera cure?
There is no evidence that says aloe vera can cure diseases. Well, aloe vera and other natural herbs are used to improve the diseases and reduce the problem. It is helpful in the skin, hair, and overall health problems.
How to use aloe vera on hair?
It is very easy to use aloe vera on hair. First, you can buy aloe vera-containing products. If you have raw aloe vera, then take out the gel substance from the aloe vera leaves. Mix some castor oil and massage the mixer in the scalp. Leave it for an hour, then rinse it with cold water. it will offer you shiny and stronger hair.
How to use aloe vera gel on the face at night?
Take some drops of aloe vera gel and massage the face in a circular motion. You can also apply it to the neck and hand. Remember, keep the movement gentle. You can leave the gel on your face overnight and wash it in the morning.
How to apply aloe vera to hair?
The right way to use aloe vera on hair is, take out all aloe vera gel from the leaves. Massage it on the scalp by mixing some coconut or castor oil.
How to grow aloe vera?
You can bring aloe vera plants from the plant nursery or you can also grow cut aloe vera leaves. Yes, the price of aloe vera leaf turns into a plant. Place aloe vera leaves in the soil and water it. You have to wait some days for rooting.
How to use aloe vera gel?
It is very easy to use aloe vera gel for beauty. Wash your hands and face. Take some drops of the best aloe vera gel on your fingertips. With fingertips apply aloe vera gel on the face. Massage the gel on your face in a circular motion. Keep the movement gentle and soft. Make sure to cover all the areas of the face.